IBES FLAGGED “INACTIVE” TICKER
Posted: 17 April 2016 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-04-17

Hi, I am recently collecting data from I/B/E/S guidance file. I notice two date variables in I/B/E/S guidance identification file: ibes ticker start Date and ibes ticker end date, which is the date when ticker is made inactive in IBES database. . My question is what does the “inactive” mean? Is it the date when the firm stopped giving guidance? the date when I/B/E/S stopped cover it ? Or the date when this firm got acquired or went bankruptcy?

Thank you all for your help!

Karena

Posted: 17 April 2016 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

Great question!

I would think it is the date that IBES no longer follows a firm, and not related to guidance, but I am not sure; I forwarded your question to the Google group.

Best,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas

Posted: 21 April 2016 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-04-17

Thanks! But I find the variable inactive date on Guidance ID file,so I am not sure if it is correct to assume that this date is not related with guidance data. They do not give detailed definition of this variable.

Posted: 21 April 2016 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

hi,

One way to find out is to take a handful of inactive firms and see if there are analysts forecasts issued after the inactive date. If not, it is likely inactive is IBES-wide and unrelated to guidance.

Best,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas

Posted: 21 April 2016 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-04-17

It is a good idea. I will look it up! Thanks!

‹‹ IBES database use      IBES Consensus data ››