ERROR: User does not have appropriate authorization level for file CRSP.CCMXPF_LINKTABLE.DATA
Posted: 01 July 2015 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2015-07-01

Hi,

I am trying to access the CCMXPF_LINKTABLE.DATA from the following path:
‘/wrds/crspq/sasdata/cc’

When I run the SAS code, I get permission denied:

ERROR: User does not have appropriate authorization level for file CRSP.CCMXPF_LINKTABLE.DATA

How do I know which file I have access to? Why don’t I have access to this one? Thanks a lot!

Posted: 01 July 2015 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

hi,

crspq is quarterly updated; your institution may be subscribing to the data that is annually updated. Try removing the libname statement and use the ‘default’ library assignments.

Best,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas

Posted: 05 July 2015 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-10-28

There is also a chance that your school does not have access to the CRSP/COMPUSTAT Merged link tables. There are schools out there (ie mine) that has access to CRSP and COMPUSTAT but not the link tables. They are quite expensive ($18,000).
If you go on the WRDS-web.wharton website and login, look left at the column and click on CRSP. There will be a list of “Subscribed” and “Not Subscribed.”
There are 2 typical solutions that you will hear from faculty. 1) Use CUSIP numbers to link CRSP and COMPUSTAT or 2.) Find a co-author that has access and let them do that part of the coding/make a dataset for you.
Personally, I think #2 could be viewed as unethical but even the “big names” in research have given that advice.

Best,
Chris

Posted: 05 July 2015 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

hi Chris,

Good catch—didn’t think of that. Maybe I was a bit distracted, being involved in all these projects as an ‘unethical’ co-author smile

Cheers,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas