how to merge data from words and those on SEC files
Posted: 07 January 2015 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2014-05-03

Dear Joost,
  I want to serch for the data of XBRL from SEC filings. But it seems SEC identifies companies with company name only? So how do I merge this dataset with compustat or with CRSP? By company name? Is there any key identifiers that I can use two link SEC filings and Compustat?
  Thanks joost.
Best,
Xinjiao

Posted: 08 January 2015 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

hi Xinjiao,

The SEC uses Central Index Key as the firm identifier. The current value of CIK is in Compustat Fundamental Annual. That means you can will be able to match firms that did not change their CIK.

You could use WRDS SEC Analytics Suite, which would give (some) additional matches.

best regards,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas

Posted: 08 January 2015 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-05-03

Dear joost,
  Thanks so much for you information. I have already found the CIK on SEC website. And I also come to know the Compustat funda contains this CIK number. Thank you. But you have mentioned I have to match those who do not change their CIK. How can I identify which firm change or not change their CIK?
Best,
Xinjiao

Posted: 09 January 2015 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

hi Xinjiao,

I suppose your starting point is the firms in Compustat. If you then match with the SEC data, those that don’t match have changed their CIK. Since the XBRL data is recent, it may turn out to be a pretty good match.

best regards,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas

Posted: 10 January 2015 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-05-03

Dear Joost,
  Thanks a lot! I got it.
Best,
Xinjiao