market cap in compustat global?
Posted: 31 January 2014 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-01-31

I’d like to pull market capitalization data for global companies.

I’ve calculated this before for NA companies using Compustat/NorthAmerica/Annual using MKVALT.  However, there doesn’t seem to be anything similar in Compustat/Global/Annual. 

Am I missing something?  Is there a different database I should use to do this?

Thanks much!

Posted: 31 January 2014 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

hi,

The global dataset is different from North America. I couldn’t find market cap or end-of-year stock price either.

One way to go about is to take the number of common shares outstanding (cshpria: Common Shares Used to Calculate Earnings Per Share (Basic) - As Reported) from G_FUNDA and multiply with stock price (prccd Price - Close - Daily) in G_SECD (securities file). You can match on gvkey and datadate.

best regards,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas

Posted: 31 January 2014 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-01-31

Thank you.  That is very helpful!

Posted: 31 January 2014 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-19

You’re welcome. smile

On second thought, there is also a ‘shares outstanding’ in G_SEC (cshoc, Shares Outstanding). That may be cleaner (and no join necessary).

best regards,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas

Posted: 24 February 2014 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-02-24

Hi!!!

I have the same problem. I would like to calculate the market capitalization value in Compustat Global.
According to Administrator answers’ I don’t know what would be better to use:
- Common shares outstanding
or
- Common shares for EPS basic

There are companies that issue Class A and Class B stocks so if you use only the “Common shares outstanding” you are missing part of the market capitalization, because as I have tested the value of Common shares for EPS basic is always equal or higher than “Common shares outstanding”
Am I right?

Thank so much!!!

Posted: 24 February 2014 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-19

hi,

I couldn’t find any data manuals for Compustat Global that mentioned cshoi and cshpria.

I looked at some observations and compared cshoi (Com Shares Outstanding - Issue) with cshpria (Common Shares Used to Calculate Earnings Per Share (Basic) - As Reported) and generally (but not always) cshoi is higher.

Maybe a pragmatic approach is to compute two versions of market capitalization and see if it matters.

best regards,

Joost

Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2014 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-02-24

Thanks for your advice.

As I am working with european companies, using Compustat Global is the best option. Anyway, I have thought about accessing via NorthAmerica Compustat and ask for the “market value” (which is provided for a company) for these european companies that appear on $ADR set, do you think it could work?

Posted: 25 February 2014 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-19

hi,

Maybe it is an idea to compare the market value for ADRs in Funda with the 2 possible measures using Global, and see which one is best, and use that one for all your firms.

best regards,

Joost

Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2014 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-02-24

Hi,

I would like to share what I found doing the comparison in case someone in the future faces the same problem.
So using Compustat NorthAmerica database and calculating the market value for those european companies (in ARD) that appear on this database and comparing it with the sum of the issue market values given by Compustat Global for each issue . . .  I have just found that these values are similar, there is just a small difference that I think is due to the currency translation made in Compustat Global for each issue.

kind regards,
And thanks to Joost!!!

Posted: 25 February 2014 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-19

hi,

Thanks for following up! smile

Joost

Signature