What does Forecast Period Indicator mean in the detail file?
Posted: 27 December 2013 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2013-03-31

Dear Joost:

Would you give some intuition about Forecast Period Indicator?

I was fully confused. What is the benchmark period?

The definition is “Each fiscal period (FY1, FY2, Q1, etc.) is given a numeric value. This allows for company comparison regardless of FY end. FY year-end can be cross-referenced through the Forecast Period End Date. (Please refer to Appendix).” from the manual.

Thank you a lot!

Anna

Posted: 27 December 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2013-03-31

I also find something like this:

FPI = 1 - the forecasts are made for the fiscal year and are reported in the year before the publication of the annual report.
FPI = 2 - the forecasts are made for the fiscal year and are reported in the year before FPI = 1, etc.
FPI = 6 - the forecasts are made for the quarterly figures and are reported in the quarter before the publication of the quarterly report.
FPI = 7 - the forecasts are made for the quarterly figures and are reported in the quarter before FPI = 6, etc.
FPI = 0 - the long term growth (if you choose this date you can’t select Forecast Period End Date at step 1, because there is no Period End for long term growth).
Semiannual figures are only available for Japanese companies.;

I am still confused by the benchmark period.

Posted: 29 December 2013 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

hi Anna,

The way I understand is, is as follows. FPI=1 are annual forecasts made for the current year (say fiscal 2013), and FPI=2 are annual forecasts for the next year (say fiscal 2014). As soon as earnings for Q4 2013 are reported, annual forecasts for 2014 will appear width FPI=1.

Same with quarterly forecasts, FPI=6 is current quarter, FPI=7 is following quarter, FPI=8 is the quarter after that, etc.

If this is not clear, it probably helps to filter out forecasts for a single company, for a single year (or quarter), and see how the FPI is ‘counted down’ over the years/quarters.

Hope this helps,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas