RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2011-09-20

1. selete database, Common stock, for IPO/SEO
2. Range of isse , for example, 1993-2012
Search items/ all items
3. Issuer country : United States of America
4. Listing: Primary Exchange Nation of Issuer’s Stock: United States of America
5. IPO flag: Exclude all IOPs (Secondary Offerings)
6. Save—> save the current report summary
Execute
Report / New custom
save as the file to local machine
Select txt or xls as you wish

smile

Signature 

Zenghui
A humble student of business

Posted: 25 September 2014 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-09-25

Hi! I started used SDC because I need data on IPOs and SEOs and I have some problems.

Problem 1: Stocks listed in US

I also tried to use the filter ” Listing: Primary Exchange Nation of Issuer’s Stock: United States of America ” as you did, but I can see that the stocks of the resulting dataset are often traded abroad, not in the US (the variable “primary exchange” often take values like “Toronto”, “Shenzhen”, ecc…)

Therefore, I tried to use the filter “Target Market: United States of America”, but I encountered the same problem (i.e. many stocks actually traded abroad).

Moreover, I found out that sometimes both filters seem to have some false negatives as well! The filter based on Listing leaves out some stocks with primary exchange in U.S. The same happens with the filter based on Target Market.

Any help? What do people do in this case?

(note: I acknowledge that I have to keep also foreign companies in my dataset, so the issuer is not contrained to be a US company in my search)

Problem 2: CUSIPs

SDC have two variables that contain the CUSIP. The first one is 6digits, the second one is 9digits. I thought that the first 6 digits of the second variable should have been equal to the first variable. But this is often not the case.
What is going on here? Does anyone know what is the issue here? What 6digit code should I use when there is a conflict between the two variables?

Problem 3: Distinct tranches
Many issues are offered in distinct tranches. For some variables this is not a problem (e.g. I have the variable “number of shares issued in all markets”  to know the total amount offered). But how do I treat variables that differ in two distinct tranches? For example, the Gross Spread or the list of Underwriters. Do I aggregate them? For example taking a value-weighted average of the Gross Spreads in the two tranches? Or by merging the list of underwriters?
I do not find any reference in the existing papers that I’m aware of about this issue.

Problem 4: Mistakes
SDC is known to contain a lot of mistakes. So I corrected all my data using the corrections suggested by Ritter on his website. Does anyone know other reliable sources I could use to clean my database?

Thanks a lot,
Tamburellino

Posted: 25 September 2014 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

hi Tamburellino,

That’s quite some issues! I haven’t used SDC for some time (and haven’t been as thorough as you), so I have posted your question to the Google group. I will post any replies here.

best regards,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas

Posted: 26 September 2014 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-09-25

Hi Joost!
Thanks a lot for your help!!
Hopefully someone will answer smile
Best,
Tamburellino

Posted: 26 September 2014 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

You’re welcome smile

The Google group is still ‘too small’ to have quick follow ups, but you never know smile

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas