Data files and Program files management system
Posted: 05 August 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2011-09-20

This job could be obvious to a lot of people on this forum.
Here is what i did for this job, and I would like to hear any comments to further improve such systems.

====

It is important to manage data files and program files across different computers at office, home and laptops.

Dropbox , Microsoft live mesh, sugar sync… etc softwares/cloud system are good at sync small files, there fore i use them to sync programing files (.SAS files) across computers.

For large data files (> 2GB easily), I am carrying a 2.5 inch portable hard drive with USB 3.0 connector (a lot better than USB 2.0). Estata suppose to be even faster, however my desktops don’t have such connector.

Good luck with data/file managing, and please let me know if you have better way to do such jobs.

====

Signature 

Zenghui
A humble student of business

Posted: 05 August 2012 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2011-09-19

hi Zenghui,

Thanks for starting this discussion—very useful!

When working from home/etc I remotely log in to my work pc. That way there is never a need to sync with ‘myself’ smile

I am using Google docs/gdrive and Dropbox for sharing with other people (code/docs, and small datasets). Dropbox is most useful for sharing lots of documents. Google docs/gdrive is helpful to write together (for example, days before deadline)

best regards,

Joost

Signature 

To reply/post new questions: Please use the group WRDS/SAS on Google Groups! http://groups.google.com/d/forum/wrdssas

Posted: 08 August 2012 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2011-09-20

Good Know that people can work together with google docs/ gdrive.

Thanks

smile

Signature 

Zenghui
A humble student of business